By looks alone, the Logitech G102 looks as if it is the simplest of all the G Series gaming mice from Logitech. In fact, it looks almost the same as a regular office mouse. However, make no mistake about it for this is a gaming mouse by all standards. We will look at all of its features in this review.
One thing that avid gamers admire so much about the Logitech products is that there is something for everyone at every level. For example, there are lightweight FPS gaming mice with just the required number of buttons. Then there are the multi-button MMO, MOBA and MMORPG gaming mice. The Logitech G102 Prodigy is an FPS gaming mouse.
You May Also Like
There are many good things to say about the G102 Prodigy, no surprise there because there are a lot of good things to say about Logitech gaming mice. With the G102 Prodigy, you will even find that it packs some advanced features such as you would mostly find in the pricier, more advanced MMO gaming mice.
Some of these features include programmable buttons, high DPI range of 8000 and others, which we will discuss here. As you may have seen in our Logitech G600 review, you can never go wrong with Logitech mice. After all, you can only expect perfection after more than 30 years of making the same product.
- 1 Logitech G102 Prodigy Review: Summary of the features
- 2 Logitech G102 Prodigy: Full review of the features
- 3 Logitech G102 Prodigy
- 4 Conclusion
Logitech G102 Prodigy Review: Summary of the features
- Fast reporting rate at 1 ms or 1000Hz. Basically, what this means is that there is no lapse at all between the time that you press a button on this mouse and when that command is displayed on the screen. This is also referred to as the polling rate.
- The optical sensor is super effective at tracking. Combined with a resolution of 8000 dots per inch, this is a high resolution gaming mouse. You can also adjust DPI fast, at intervals of 200.
- The minimal weight of 85 g makes this mouse perfect for playing FPS games. Remember, the MMO, MOBA and MMORPG games require heavier gaming mice such as Logitech G600.
- The mouse has six fully programmable buttons – not too many and definitely not crowded at all. This means that you remap the buttons such that some of the keyboard functions are accessible in the mouse buttons.
- Nice build quality with thin plastic casing makes this mouse light in weight but long-lasting at the same time. The size is 4.6 inches long, which means your wrists do not cramp up at all when you play, if you have mid-size palms.
- It has a rubber cord that is 6 feet long. Really, rubber cables are not as bad as braided cable enthusiasts would have us believe. Let’s just say each has its own benefits.
- Has a nice, solid, clickable scroll wheel with nice and fine ridges. It responds very well too.
- More than 16 million LED color to fully customize your mouse. Also has good RGB lighting to make it easy to recognize your gaming profiles at first glance.
- As usual, we know that Logitech software is easy to use for the other gaming mice. It is not any different for the G102 Prodigy. You will find it easy to program your mouse to suit your needs.
- The left and right click buttons have been mechanically tensioned to reduce the force needed to click them.
- The mouse is made to glide nicely on all sorts of surfaces. However, it will move even better on a gaming mat. Besides, you do want to preserve its feet for as long as the mouse will last.
- This is a right-handed mouse and there is no option to change the orientation in the software. Left-handed users will have to find an ambidextrous gaming mouse.
- The mouse comes with onboard memory as do indeed other gaming mice under Logitech. You can store a few game profiles. That way, when you play on a different computer, you do not need to install the Logitech software again.
- You can adjust DPI whole in play. Just set the changes in the software so that you can play as you wish on your gaming laptop.
Logitech G102 Prodigy: Full review of the features
Physical design and build quality
From a distance, this mouse looks like it is a bit flimsy. I think the thin plastic casing makes it look like this. However, looks can be deceiving and in this mouse, they indeed are deceiving. This is not a boisterous mouse, but its performance leaves a lasting impression on your mind. It is solidly built and with good care, it is going to last a long time.
You will see the G102 is categorized as a medium-size mouse. It measures 4.6 inches by 2.5 inches by 1.5 inches and weighs 85 g. These are good metrics to give people with small hands and medium sized hands a comfortable grip. People with bigger palms might find the mouse a bit cramping at the wrist.
The mouse is matte-black in color to make it as anti-slip as possible. If you take good care of this mouse, it is going to last long after its warranty of 24 months. That is how Logitech have been building their mice, keyboards and other computer peripherals since 1981.
The buttons respond very well and there is not too much tension to them. They have been well designed and they will last a long time. The left and right click buttons alone are rated for 10 million clicks.
For aesthetics, you will love the way the Logitech logo lights up and the ring of light around the mouse.
Basically, to wrap it up about the design and build quality, this mouse is a Logitech!
6000 DPI sensor
We have seen bigger with other Logitech gaming mice, but we have also seen smaller. For example, the predecessors of the G102 Prodigy came with 2500DPI. 6000 DPI is quite an improvement.
The accuracy of the sensor is excellent, right-on-point all the time as is the tracking. This is an optical sensor though, unlike the laser sensor that we find in the Logitech G600, but it still performs very well. You can set different DPI settings for different game profiles so that you can change profiles at the touch of a button.
Logitech G102 Prodigy performance
Well, we have been reiterating just how reliable this brand name is, and no, it is not mere hype. Thus, for every gaming mouse at any price range, there are fair expectations. The G102 Prodigy exceeds all of these expectations.
First, there is the high polling rate of 1000Hz. What this means is that as soon as you press a button on the mouse, the command is displayed instantly on the screen. There is no delay at all.
To make matters even better, this is a wired mouse and with such, there is usually now delay in communication between it and the computer. In live video transmission, this is also referred to as latency and the lower the better.
Another performance feature that you can expect is that this mouse glides wonderfully over any surface. However, for the best effect, and to let the feet get to their maximum rated distance of 250km, just buy a gaming mat.
Whether you play on low or high DPI, this mouse is going to satisfy you a lot. In any case, depending on the needs of the game that you are playing, you can always go back to the software and change the DPI settings or increase them with the DPI button located beneath the scroll wheel.
Logitech G102 Prodigy Software
One of the things that Logitech software is known for is just how user-friendly it is. It does not matter whether this is your first or the umpteenth time to use gaming mouse software, but you will find it easy to use.
You also get many extra features with this software. In the software, you will be able to set up five profile modes. Because this mouse has an onboard memory chip, you can store these five game profiles on the mouse’s chip. When you use a different computer to play, you will not need to install the software again.
One thing about the software though is that there are only two light modes to choose from. Thus, do not expect anything too flamboyant. However, you can change colors as you want, take your choice from 16 million colors available.
Program the six buttons and assign them some of your keyboard functions as you want. Also know that there is a firmware upgrade that could raise your mouse’s DPI from 6000 to 8000. You can always check such information out from the Logitech website.
You can use this mouse with almost all operating systems. You can even use it with MacBook Pro/Retina Display – 15.6 inch.
Logitech G102 Prodigy Buttons
You can use the mouse as it comes but to play games with it, you will need to program the buttons through the software.
Once you have installed the software, just go to Start, All Programs, Logitech, Logitech Gaming Software, and then click on Customize Buttons.
You can then choose the profile that you would like to edit. However, even before you do that, you should have copied or downloaded some of your favorite games into your hard drive. That way, the mouse will automatically detect the games and create profiles for them.
Editing buttons is even easier. All that you need to do is to drag and drop the command that you want for a button into the button. You are free to do what you want. You can even set commands like launch file or folder to any mouse button.
There are only six programmable buttons, but those are all that you need for FPS gaming. All the buttons have mechanical tensioning to keep them clickable without using too much force.
RGB lighting and colors
We agree that a gaming mouse should be flashy to reflect the spirit of gaming. There are not all those many lights to talk about in the G102 Prodigy. However, the Logitech logo lights up nicely.
A ring of light seems to go all around the mouse. That is all that there is to the LightSync RGB illumination technology of this mouse, with only two colors to choose from. However, there are many colors, 16 million to customize the looks of your mouse.
Game quality sensor
The sensor and the buttons are everything in a gaming mouse. In this Logitech G102 Prodigy review, you may find that we have referred to the optical sensor that this mouse comes with as 6000DPI and at other times as 8000DPI. The reason for this is that even if you buy it as a 6000DPI sensor, a firmware upgrade in the future can allow you to upgrade the sensor to 8000DPI, not that you are likely to use it anyway.
Other features worth a mention
The cord is 6 feet long. It is rubber-coated. It glides easily on the table and although it may collect dirt around, it should be easy to wipe clean. This cord is not replaceable.
The scroll wheel is nicely ridged and friendly to the hands. However, some people complain that it is a bit loud when clicking. It is a clickable scroll wheel.
Logitech G102 Prodigy
- Save your custom settings in the onboard chip for use on a different computer
- It is stylish, light in weight and durable
- The Logitech software is easy to use even for a beginner
- Sold with a 24-month warranty on the hardware
- High polling rate ensures faster response time from what a standard mouse gives
- Gaming quality sensor is accurate and tracks without a miss
- Light in weight
- Works with almost all operating systems
- Onboard memory
- Scroll wheel click is a bit loud
- Too small for people with big palms
If you have been looking for a good FPS gaming mouse to help you enjoy gaming, this Logitech G102 Prodigy review has shown you why your search ends right here. You have seen all the features, the benefits and even a few downsides to expect. You can get this mouse with confidence that it is going to meet all of your gaming and other mouse needs perfectly. After all, Logitech is one of the best names and they do have a reputation to protect.